If you’ve ever taken the chance to catch some shut-eye while sitting in your cubicle, you now you are taking a risk. You could easily get caught by co-workers, a boss, or (heaven forbid) the CEO swinging through on a random visit. Then it’s a visit to the naughty corner – unless you can come up with an instant excuse!
Of course, if you just plan ahead, you can probably extricate yourself from trouble with a well timed phrase that leaves you in the clear. Here are some of our very favorite excuses that get cubicle sleepers off the hook!
For the lawyer’s office:
- “It’s okay: I’m still billing the client.”
For the business office:
- “This is just a 15-minute power nap like they raved about in that time-management course you sent me to.”
- “I was working smarter, not harder.”
- “I wasn’t sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm!”
- “This is one of the seven habits of highly effective people!”
In the IT department:
- “I was testing my keyboard for drool resistance.”
- “I’m actually doing a “Stress Level Elimination Exercise Plan” (SLEEP) I learned at the last management seminar you made me attend.”
When a guilt trip is in order:
- “This is in exchange for the six hours last night when I dreamed about work!”
- “They told me at the blood bank this might happen.”
- “Ah, the unique and unpredictable circadian rhythms of the workaholic!”
To turn the tables on that boss who always talks about being vegan and taking the spiritual path to enlightenment:
- “I was doing a highly specific Yoga exercise to relieve work-related stress.
- Do you discriminate against people who practice Yoga?”
To convince a coworker it’s all their fault:
- “Darn! Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem.”
Blame the lack of caffeine available in the work environment:
- “The coffee machine is broken.”
- “Someone must’ve put decaf in the wrong pot.”
So wildly unbelievable they just might buy it:
- “Wasn’t sleeping. Was trying to pick up a contact lens without hands.”
- “The mailman flipped out and pulled a gun, so I was playing dead to avoid getting shot.”
- “Geez, I thought you were gone for the day.”
Have you ever gotten trouble for nodding off at work? What’s your cubicle sleeping excuse?